The curled bits of inlay were carefully removed from the table and put aside. Then I used some water and a steam iron to heat the vacant areas and remove the old glue from the plywood base. I also used the same technique to remove the old glue from the removed inlay pieces. Then I used the steam iron again to steam the individual pieces of inlay an pressed them between two pieces of plywood to get them flat again. This worked quite well. Some of the inlay was so bad I had to replace it so I resawed some oak to the thickness I required, about 1/16th, scroll sawed them to fit in some new pieces. Used some scrap purple heart to replace the diamond and heart symbol. Used some scrap ebony to replace the club and spade symbol. Cut those shapes with a scroll saw and lots of patience. All were glued back in place using white glue. I decided to used a table top epoxy finish on the whole table so white glue was sufficient for gluing the inlay back in place. The plywood base for the table is a little bit loose from the oak frame so I have to secure that and then the sanding begins. Photos to follow.
-- Carpe Diem