For a while, I had been working on saw horses with a melamine coated piece of MDF I picked up from the Ikea as-is section. After abusing that thing for 2 years, I figured it was time to embark on a build.
My goal for the workbench was to make it as inexpensive as possible. I first thought of going the 2×12 douglas fir route, but opted to liquidate my stash of MDF. The MDF was laminated with Titebond and wood screws across 2 sessions. After finishing the lamination, I double sticked tape hardboard to the top, squared the sucker up, and attached 2 layers of 4/4 white oak edging with wood screws. Dog holes were drilled 3” on center. Overall the top measures 2.5” x 26” x 50”. The Kreg bench dogs and holdfasts work great.
The workbench top weights in just north of 100 lbs and has been quite the workout to move. It is currently sitting on my sawhorses with 2×4’s propping it up. I figure I’ll try out a few different heights to see if it works. The current height is right to my wrist and can withstand some planing operations. Once I build a base for it, I will settle on a front vise. I like the idea of flush legs for additional clamping options, and am leaning towards a french Roubo style base. I will probably gravitate towards a traditional front vise with hardwood jaws. For the end-vise, I didn’t want to take up any more of a footprint in my basement. I decided to go with a Armor Tool Dog Clamp. Looking forward to it’s arrival next Wednesday.