Braving the cold weather today meant I was able to finish sanding and apply the stain. Rather than spending the time staining on my own, I asked my daughter if she wanted to do some “special painting” with daddy. So off we went to apply the first coat of stain. All that arts and crafts time with mommy must have paid off cause this 3 year old did an awesome job. I decided to try Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain and was surprised to see acceptable blotching. The 1-2 hour re-coat time was also a nice perk. I think I may have found my inexpensive finish of choice. After bed time, I applied the second coat to get the color my wife wanted (she was OK with just stain on the outside.
Next up, applying the polyurethane. For this project, I’m going for Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane. Hopefully, I’ll be able to give a thumbs up on that product too.