Sometimes I think my wife enjoys my hobby more than I do. After all, she keeps coming up with project upon project that she would like me to make for her. Having finally finished that upcycled dresser and shocked all of our friends with the duck painting kits for my daughter’s birthday party, the took the day off to make some progress on the next 2 projects.
First on the agenda was to make some headway on the end-grain cutting boards for my in-laws Christmas present. Nothing exciting about these boards. The project was actually well underway. I finally built the router flattening sled today and took down the high spots. Using a 3/4” straight bit left a very rough surface, so lots of sanding is in order.The other project are storage crates that my wife has wanted to help control our children’s toy infestation. Her criteria was rather unique, wanting them to…
- Be light enough to carry up and down the house (pine or plywood)
- Stained to a light wood color (stain grade)
- Fit under our dining buffet, as well as an Ikea shelf that has been re-purposed for toy storage (fixed dimensions)
- Doesn’t need to be “perfect” (#2 common acceptable)
- Needs to be done last year (excuse for shop time)
She held off on pulling the trigger on some store bought staple joinery, and give me a chance to exercise my creativity in beating the price.
After sketching out my idea and coming up with a rough plan, I did some research to figure out the lowest cost I could pull off. Treating this project as an experiment, I decided to use furring strips to see how well they last. If all goes well, each crate will use only 2 furring strips, costing me $4.30+tax out of pocket, and allowing me to use up an overstock of hardboard that I have in my basement. Wish me luck!