LumberJocks

Why buy it when you can make it! #16: Dresser Rehab [Part 4] - Almost finished...well finished but some assembly required

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by paxorion posted 10-12-2014 08:22 PM 1405 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 15: Birthday Party Activity [Part 3] - Start em early, start em young Part 16 of Why buy it when you can make it! series Part 17: Dresser Rehab [Part 5] - Screwed... »
After an unexpectedly long detour detour to get my ducks in a row for my daughter's birthday party, I finally got to spraying on the paint for the dresser rehab. This was no easy feat, as I had to tackle two major roadblocks.
  1. I needed to get over my fear of trying out a HVLP. Since I was using a Harbor Freight HVLP, I wasn’t sure how well it would work.
  2. I had to get my wife to mix the paint color she wants out of the 3 cans of General Finishes milk paint we bought a while back.

The main dresser body got 2 coats of Valspar semigloss. It took a lot of trail and error to thin the Valspar paint sufficiently to spray. Eventually, I found a 4-1 mix of paint, water, and a good amount of Floetrol was needed to get the viscosity cup to run within 20 seconds (per the Rockler manual). I suspect I probably violated some mixing guidelines, but overall there was decent adhesion and the results were quite smooth using the 2.0mm tip.

My wife had decided on “coral” as the color for the drawer fronts. I told her it was her responsibility to mix the GF paint for it (she used to work in a hardware store paint department). The hard part was getting her to do it so that I could get on the paint this weekend before the rain came. After about a week of daily nagging (we have some role reversals in our marriage ;-)), the paint was mixed this morning, and sprayed on two coats (1 before church, and 1 after). Two coats later, and we have coral drawer fronts. I also took the opportunity to spray on a coat of “coral” paint to the little rocking chair.

Getting the right viscosity was a piece of cake. I did have to thin it with a little bit of water, but nowhere near as much trial and error as with the Valspar. In the future, if I do any more painting with the HVLP, I’ll certainly be tempted to splurge for the General Finishes. All that’s left, is to give the drawer fronts a few days to cure before I re-assemble the dresser and deliver it to the little princess. And just in time for her birthday too!

-- paxorion



1 comment so far

View Sylvain's profile

Sylvain

639 posts in 1965 days


#1 posted 10-13-2014 12:51 PM

A late comment to #13

A trick i still have to try myself when cutting with a hole saw (don’t remember where I have seen it):

With the drain hole, the sawdust should not accumulate in the saw track. Obviously the piece must be suported in such a way that the sawdust can escape trough the drain hole.

-- Sylvain, Brussels, Belgium, Europe - The more I learn, the more there is to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com