I have a bunch of cut-offs from a local cabinet shop that deals mainly with Cherry but I also get a good amount of Poplar from there.
From the medium sized pieces (all 3/4”), I selected some nice poplar front and back, some cherry for the sides and I had one long board of Cherry that had a knot in the middle (so was discarded), and I simply cut the knot out and used each end for the top and bottom. It’s 9×4 x 3” high.
I just set them up, and eyeballed it for fit – seemed ok, this isnt fine woodworking to be sure! Just doing simple butt joints, I have so much scrap wood its more of a trial run to see what kind of joint I can get with just glue and clamps. Lots of clamps :)
Using titebond original. I’m gonna go with TB III next time, for the longer set up time.
Sanded it with Makita ROS 150 and hand sanded 220>320>400. A generous coat of Watco Danish Oil. It’s due for another coat or two.
I didnt hinge this box, just set the lid on top. I probably will hinge it though later on.
It’s sitting on my desk at work
The cutting board (half of it anyway) came last night, from another pile of long skinny cut-offs of cherry.
Glued and Clamped – Damn this was a pain. I really need that Titebond III, took me forever to get it clamped up “straight”. Gonna have a lot of planing to do once this dries.
This is how it looks after a quick planing and light sanding, and a teensy dash of Watco rejuvinating oil, for to see what im workin with (gonna sand it off later and put mineral oil probably).
I’m going for an abstract design, and i’ll probably round out the edges, but who knows. This is whats great about playing with free scraps. It simply doesn’t matter.
Gonna glue up another half tonight and we’ll see what happens. Basically just messin around
-- Joseph, Lake Forest, CA, http://instagram.com/palas_woodcraft#