After coming across a glue up thread yesterday, I was inspired to glue up a panel.
I didnt take any pics of the actual glue up last night (DOH), but here is a panel I threw together with some reclaimed pine scraps I’ve been picking up every so often at random.
I ran the handyman H1205 over the edges on the really rough pieces, then the block plane took out some knots, and finished with the #4 Stanley T13, which is cutting like butter after some tuning and filing down a ding at the top of the chipbreaker that was causing some trouble. Edge glued two strips together (2 at a time), and 30 mins later glued on another strip to each. This morning I glued those together, now 6 strips in the panel.
After the clamps came off, I took the backsaw and cut off the protruding ends & ran the #4 over it some more to get it smooth.
After flattening both sides, more or less, and running late for work, I just hit it with some 400 grit and threw a bit of tung oil on to see what I was working with.
This is my first time ever gluing up a panel, and I finally made use of 4 bar clamps I got off CL awhile ago, plus all my other clamps (I need more clamps!!). The #4 actually did a good job as a jointer for these tiny pieces.
I just used some of the scrap pine I have been hoarding in the garage, and I’m happy with the glue lines, so overall I’m stoked.
I’m thinking of using it for the base of a tool tote which I desperately need, but it may be too small.
I’ll finish up the edges tonight. Or perhaps add some additional pieces to give it more width.
-- Joseph, Irvine CA, @palas_woodcraft on Instagram