Well, I’ve begun the work of preparing stock and cutting the parts to size. I’ve taken some rough sawn Louisiana cherry and jointed it and made several passes through my WoodMaster planer to bring it within the deminsions needed. I didn’t have a board wide enough to make the table top from, so I had to glue up three boards to make it. It will be more stable this way, anyhow. After cutting the boards to length, I let them sit in my shop for several days. Partly to allow the glue to cure on the table top, partly to see if the pieces would warp and partly because I had to go to work.
I originally wanted to make use of my lathe in the project, so I turned a sample leg and even did one using just my drawknife, but found duplicating it to be harder than I imagined it to be. With limited time to work on this project and a deadline, I decide to go with a simpler leg design.
When I got another day off, I spent it using the beadLock system to make my tenions. Although I found the beadLock system worked really well on my adjustable table project, I must say that I wasn’t as satisfied with how it turned out on this project. Even though I marked the placement of the tenons on the side boards and table legs the alignment was not perfect after drilling and putting the tenons in place. I’ll have to work on the way I did it to perfect the fit. I originally wanted to make through tenons with the beadLock system, but found that I didn’t have enough 3/8 tenon stock to be able to do it. I didn’t want to wait to get a shipment from Rockler, so I went ahead anyway.
I have pictures, but was unable to post them at this time,(that’s why I titled this one, tease #1) so I’ll get them in my next blog, hopefully. I’m enjoying the journey so far and have already learned a few new things about myself and my lack of experience at building furniture that will hopefully make me a better woodworker in the future.
-- Jesus is Lord!