Hello everyone! A while back a great LumberJock wouldn’t take no for an answer and generously mailed me some veneer. After much reading, blogs on the LumberJock’s and his guidance I made this chess board with the lovely veneers.
The question was… what will I do with it? After much consideration I decided to make a table upon which to attach it to. Unlike most of you, my plan was in my head. Kind of learn as you go type of venture. I started of wanting to try and use my tapering jig to make the legs tapered and it worked out nicely. I decided to make the height of the table around 30”, tall enough to use stools to play or just stand if one feels like it. My initial desire was to put a drawer underneath to hold the chess pieces and such. I found out too late that by tapering the legs as I did, a drawer would be quite the challenge as I started the taper too high on the legs.
I’m sorry that it is upside down. You’ll have to forgive me, but the top isn’t finished. In the photo you can see the framework for the door that will allow access the the cabinet ( it is to the left of the picture). There or no hinges yet and the knob I turned for it isn’t there either, but will be when I’m finished. Here’s a better view of the front:
The joinery is of through dowel construction for the most part with some doweling that does not go through. I used 3/8” dowels with Titebond II glue. The wood is cherry and as can be seen it is not all heartwood. After realizing that a drawer wasn’t going to be a reality on this project I decided to make an enclosure under the table top that would house a couple of shelves. This presented another problem. My original placement of the rials did not take this into consideration because I was thinking of doing a drawer. I realized that the rails would be too high and would not hide the bottom of the enclosure, therefore I needed to come up with a plan that would allow me to widen two of them so that they would match on all four sides. This required a decision also on how would I attach these to the existing table. If I would have planned this ahead of time I could have just doweled it into the legs. Of course, if it would have been planned in the beginning this wouldn’t have been necessary because I would have made all the rails match on all four sides. I decided to make my own cherry pieces in which I drilled and counter sank two screw each. I used my draw knife to fit these. The board I added was a tad narrower than the other one and with limited material I had to use them. They can be seen here:
The blue on there is from my bench dogs and has since been sanded off. Here is the other side of my fix.
I’m still contemplating using my router to make a design out of the joint where the two boards meet or I will make a molding to conceal it. I am using 1/2” birch plywood for the sides and door. I will rabbet the inside of the door frame and glue the plywood from the back to give it the look I want.
The last element that I have to show is my homemade or maybe I should call them my shop made tabletop hold downs or clips: (I apologize for the fuzzy picture)
They are made of cherry and can allow movement of the table because of the slots. Of course, there should be very little movement of the top because it is made of two sheets of 1/2” MDF glued together. I hope to wrap the MDF with cherry and have a piece of acrylic covering the chess top, floating in a groove cut into the wood that wraps the MDF.
This project is on hold for now because of some bulging disc in my neck that will require surgery. Thanks for looking and keep an eye out for my future post of the finished table. ;^)
-- Jesus is Lord!