LumberJocks

Summer Uke Build #8: Gluing Top Bracing, Roughing Back Braces

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by onoitsmatt posted 12-21-2016 11:57 PM 589 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Tail detail/Kerfed Lining/Top Braces Part 8 of Summer Uke Build series Part 9: Not summer anymore but still a uke build »

Another vacation day today and so another day in the shop.

Today I made a bridge plate. The only stock I had on hand that was already thin enough and hard enough to do the job was some cut-off wood from the uke sides (padauk). So I just cut it to size and routed a channel to accomodate the center brace (I also cut a notch in the center brace to overlap).

I split the above brace accidentally while carving the notch, so I made a new brace and notched/used it.

Then i glued up the top braces and bridge plate. Fortunately the Uke is small enough that I could use clamps for glue-up rather than needing a go-bar deck or other jig to glue the braces in place. I had originally planned to radius the top and back of the uke, but since I am trying to expedite the build, I am doing a flat top and radiused back. I glued the center brace last. I glued bridge plate and other braces first, then when the glue dried on those, I glued in the center brace over the bridge. (I made the cam clamp pictured a few months ago with the intent of making a bunch of various sizes but time got away from me and this is the only one that got finished).

I notched out the kerfed lining where the top braces will intersect the sides. I also rough cut the shape for the top and back today (previously the top and back were still big, book-matched panels. Today they are vaguely ukulele shaped.

Here is the top with the braces glued in and rim placed on top.

I also shaped the back braces today. For brace wood I had an old 2×3 in the shop that was pretty straight-grained. It looks like some kind of spruce (it is very light colored). I split the 2×3 to get very rough stock.

After splitting, I planed smooth, then cut to length and planed to thickness, etc. until I had a brace blank. Then cut the blanks to the right shape. I have a radius dish I made for the back, so sanded the braces on the dish to get the proper radius.

Here the braces are taped into place. I had planned on gluing these today, but since these are radiused I couldn’t come up with a simple way of doing this on the dish without a go-bar deck. I have all the pieces to make one, just haven’t done it yet. So that’ll be on the to-do list for tomorrow.

-- Matt - Phoenix, AZ



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com