Over the last few days I’ve been rough shaping the neck. I’ll spare the details of the scarf joint that puts the headstock at a 15 degree angle as I covered that on the previous neck blank I made. Here is the new neck with the scar...
|View onoitsmatt's:||home||workshop||projects (1)||blog (25)||reviews (0)||forum topics (11)||buddies (3)||favorites (6)||activity log|
280 posts in 752 days
Location: Phoenix, AZ
I started woodworking in 2000. I have been a hack for the last 15 years. In late 2014 I decided to build an acoustic guitar, but first needed to stop being a hack. So I sold most of my power tools and replaced them with hand tools in the interest of learning more about wood and how it "works".
Since this transition I have learned a thousand times more about wood and working wood than I ever did in my power tool days. Though my last few projects with power tools turned out well, they were still sloppy by most people's standards.
I'm slowly becoming less of a hack and am hoping to get started on building my first guitar sometime in 2016.
-- Matt - Phoenix, AZ
Latest Activity | view all »
Latest Projects | view all 1 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 25 »
My initial attempt to fit the neck was a utter failure. The mortise and tenon fit pretty well, though the shoulders of the tenon were not flush with the body. So I tweaked and tweaked the shoulders some more trying to get a good fit. This resul...
The last several days of shop time have been pretty much dedicated to building a neck mortise jig. This jig is designed to hold the uke body firmly while routing the neck mortise. The neck mortise has to be perfectly centered and perfectly per...
With my last entry, I had been attempting to make a template to accurately space the frets. After several failed attempts, I decided to just correct the template with the fewest issues. I had been somehow missing my mark by just a fraction of an...
After having cut a few fingerboard blanks from a chunk of mesquite, I need to choose one and get it thicknessed and ready for use. I picked the best one and flattened it, squared up one side and thicknessed in on the drum sander to about 0.15...