Lego Table #8: Finished!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Eric posted 02-21-2009 07:10 PM 2161 reads 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Making Our Mark(s) Part 8 of Lego Table series no next part

I swear, my shop time is so infrequent it takes me forever to complete a project. But I had a decent block of time today and was able to do quite a bit!

First was to smooth the whole thing down – planing and sanding. Then I had to create a little “slot” in the top of one of the short aprons. This will allow for easy cleanup of legos; you don’t have to worry about clearing the lip, you just sweep them off into the tub through this slot. The technique I used is almost the same as the one I used on my step stool. I used a cardboard template to be sure the curves on the ends of the slot were the same.

Then I made a series of cuts to the line. It seems tedious but this only took me a few minutes.

I then took my mallet and chisel to it, and after the first pass it looked like this:

A second pass cleaned it up even more, and then I used a spokeshave and a rounded file (I don’t yet own a rasp!) to smooth it up.

Then it was time to finally glue the top on. This is perhaps an optional step but I decided to do it. There isn’t much good gluing surface (mostly the end grain on the legs) so I flipped it over and glued in some glue blocks on the bottom for a little extra support. Here’s the underside of the table so you can see what all I’ve done there. Notice I also nailed in (crude, I know) some brackets to help hold those leg assemblies together. Maybe unnecessary, but I’m paranoid like that.

And here she is after one coat of BLO/varnish/mineral spirits (in the midst of drying, thus the uneven look on the plywood). In the morning I’ll buff it out and add another coat, and then tomorrow night one more. That might be it!

-- Eric at

7 comments so far

View Scott Bryan's profile

Scott Bryan

27250 posts in 3784 days

#1 posted 02-21-2009 08:04 PM

Eric, I am sure that your children will enjoy this. It will be so much easier to them to “work” with their Legos on this table as opposed to the floor and adding the clean-up slot was a nice idea.

This has been a fun series. It took you about 4 months to get it finished but good craftsmanship just can’t be rushed.

Now, what is next?

-- Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful- Joshua Marine

View Blake's profile


3443 posts in 3837 days

#2 posted 02-21-2009 11:02 PM

It came out great! I like the cut out idea. I also like the custom art on the bottom.

-- Happy woodworking!

View Woodchuck1957's profile


944 posts in 3726 days

#3 posted 02-21-2009 11:39 PM

The cutout is a nice idea. Another way to have created it is make a template from 1/4” hardboard ( Masonite ) , and router out the cutout in a couple passes. Or use a jigsaw to cut it out, and then a sanding drum on a drill press to smooth it out.

View kiwi1969's profile


608 posts in 3404 days

#4 posted 02-22-2009 02:41 AM

A fine job considering your space and tool constraints, this just proves you don,t need a big buck workshop or toolkit to get things done. Now how about that chipendale highboy!!!!

-- if the hand is not working it is not a pure hand

View PurpLev's profile


8534 posts in 3611 days

#5 posted 02-22-2009 04:11 AM

Eric – NICE Table! I think that those metal brackets could have been left out though, there’s plenty of long grain glue surface on those leg pieces, which should be more than suffice.

Woodchuck – I dont think Eric has a Jigsaw, nor a router.. this was all hand tool made.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Eric's profile


875 posts in 3746 days

#6 posted 02-22-2009 04:56 PM

Scott: It may have taken me 4 months to do this, but in actual shop time this was probably about 3 or 4 weekends! I just don’t get time to go to the shop that much, and when I DO have time, I sometimes just don’t have the energy for it! As for my next project, I think I’m going to make a very VERY simple playing card holder for my kids. Just a diagonal rip halfway down into a longish block of wood. Then I’ll woodburn their names on ‘em. Then I have some serious sharpening to do before I do ANYTHING else. I’ve been procrastinating too long, and using really dull blades for too long.

Blake: Thanks! My wife actually suggested I put the art side up. If it was the kind of plywood where both sides look nice, I might have! The top will be covered with a car mat anyway (I’ll show this in my Project posting when I do it).

Woodchuck: PurpLev is right on – the only thing that is plugged in in my shop is a stand fan. To be honest, even if I could do this with power tools, I don’t think I would. I like doing something that could make someone think, “You did that with a saw, mallet and chisel?”

Kiwi: Ha! I don’t even know what a highboy is, although I hear the term batted around all the time. I dunno, sounds a bit too fancy for me. :^)

PurpLev: Thanks man! I know, the brackets seem over-the-top, I should’ve only done glue blocks at most. But we seem to move a lot, and I can just imagine the movers banging those legs against the doors and walls. Don’t wanna test that glue bond too much.

-- Eric at

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 3635 days

#7 posted 02-23-2009 03:42 AM

Eric that looks nice.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics