I finally got around to making a mallet. I started by selecting a piece of 6/4 Poplar, which yielded the material needed for the head and the handle. I then spent some time coming up with a design that would be to my liking. Once the design was settled on I glued up the material for the head and turned the handle on the lathe. After the glue dried I used my power mitre saw to cut the head to its rough shape. I then set up the drill press, with a 1” forstner bit, to drill the 3” deep hole needed for the tennon on the handle. Next it was over to the bandsaw to finish cutting the head to shape. After some sanding at the sanding station I used my trim router, outfitted with a 1/4” round over bit, to ease the edges. I then glued the head and the handle together. I created a short video that shows my progress. You can view the video via the following link to Youtube:
Here are some photos as well.
Material that will be the head and the handle
The final shape of the handle
Waiting for the glue to dry
Still waiting for the glue to dry
It’s starting to take shape
I have yet to apply any kind of finish. I plan to make a final video for this project that shows the finish being applied. I’ll post the Youtube link as soon as I have it finished.
Thanks for looking.
-- Doug - Make an effort to live by the slogan "We try harder"