Do you ever get side tracked from a project? Well, that’s where I am. Because Christmas is at my house this year I have to make a couple of table leaves in order to be able to get everyone around the table. Durring the process of making the leaves I noticed that the bolts on the table legs were loose. Instead of tightening the bolts and going on with the table leaf project I decided to do some work on the table pedestals themselves. After taking the table top off I noticed that the legs of the pedestal were loose. So I thought that I would take some time to fix them. This is what happens when I decide to fix something;
Here’s the other one that I haven’t started “fixing”;
I spent nearly eight hours sanding the disassembled pedestal. As the picture shows I mounted the pedestal in my lathe which made sanding it much easier. Fortunately the factory applied stain wasn’t very deep so removing it was pretty simple.
Sanded pedestal legs;
Now that things are sanded I’ll probably stain the pedestal while it’s still on the lathe and stain the legs once they’re glued back onto the pedestal. I plan to restain the assembly with red mahogany stain and then apply several coats of polyurethane. Once I get this pedestal finished I think I’ll wait until after Christmas to do the other one. Now, back to the table leaves.
-- Doug - Make an effort to live by the slogan "We try harder"