I’ve recently gotten the opportunity to rent some room near my home, where I can have a workshop that’s not freezing cold or moist in the winter and very small – There is a catch though: If the owner finds someone who wants to rent the whole thing I have to move out, but for now I’m all set.
This of course means I need a workbench – I’ve been wanting to build a Nicholson bench for a while, but with the above mentioned catch I’m not going to just yet – I would have no place to put if I need to move out again.
So I’ve made a discount version, mostly from old pallets and reclaimed wood – I bought a chipboard flooring sheet and cut away the tounge and groove edges and the lumber on the front because i needed something wider then I could reclaim. In total it cost me about 15$ in materials.
If need to move out, I can just disassemble it again as it is all screws and no glue – despite this it is very sturdy.
As the top is not suitable for using holdfasts I’ve made a small batten with two pegs sticking out the bottom – this works very well as a planing stop – it also fits in the holes on the right end and works like a bench hook for sawing. Outer holes for pull stroke saws, inner holes for push stroke saws
The longer batten lying at an angle to the smaller one is due for having pegs installed too – this, together with the small batten, will let me plane cross grain – I hope.
On the legs I plan to use pegs to support a stud – on top of which i can balance wide board for edge planing – I can clamp to the apron or the legs. I’m thinking about adding pegs to the stud, but I think the holes are to slanted, It’s hard to drill straight with a spade bit. So i’ve made a mental note to get an auger bit once I get to make my proper Nicholson bench.
Part of the reason my bench is very sturdy has to do with all the weight i’ve put on the shelf. on the right below the cover sits a small wood lathe – and old danish produced mini lathe by the company Ramatør.
I’ve found it in a second hand shop a couple of years ago, but have just recently gotten it running. It needed a lot of TLC and some metalworking.
The motor in particular is quite heavy and helps the bench stay very still even when planing long boards.