LumberJocks

Weather Station: The Next Generation

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by newTim updated 04-22-2009 02:02 AM 6 parts 16370 reads 3 comments total

Part 1: Taming the Templates

04-12-2009 06:29 AM by newTim | 2 comments »

This is a simple project that is made more so with a couple of templates. In fact I would not know how to line things up accurately without them. I use two kinds of templates, one to line up drilling and a couple to space the wings. For pictures and previous discussion check out my project page and blog series. I start by laying out the design on graph paper and tape that to 1/4” masonite cut to the same size as the inner top and bottom. I then sandwiched an identical size pi...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Template Solution: Opposite Man

04-13-2009 06:21 AM by newTim | 1 comment »

Some may remember the old Seinfeld episode where George decided his normal way wasn’t working out so he vowed to do everything opposite. While things started going in his favor Elaine’s life became like George’s old life and Seinfeld remained even. Not that that has anything to do with woodworking, I was just looking for something clever. In any event I mentioned in Blog 1 that in the original project I was fighting gravity so I decided to remedy the situation by doing th...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Cutting the spacer templates

04-14-2009 05:04 AM by newTim | 0 comments »

Here’s the process I used to make the new style templates. First I use the top level template from Blog 1 with the graph paper still attached. I ripped three 3/4” scraps to the desired height and ganged them together. The stop is set on the square so I only have to rotate the piece to get a matching cut the same distance from the other edge. These two initial cuts set the width of the middle spacer that determines the separation of the wings. And here’s the stack ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Drill Here, Drill Now

04-17-2009 07:50 PM by newTim | 0 comments »

There are a number or holes required for this project. Here’s a list of purpose and sizes. Galileo = 1 1/2”, Dowels = 5/16”, Magnets = 10mm, Clock/Instruments = 2 3/8”, back air holes 3/4” to 1”. Here’s how I usually set the depth of cut. Instead of measuring from the top I set the drill to stop a distance from the bottom. To locate a centerline I usually rip a piece of scrap and butt the part up against a stop so both are flush to the ed...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Glue Up; That's the one I've been looking for.

04-18-2009 11:33 PM by newTim | 0 comments »

I remember Sen. Bob Dole telling the story of a day spent with his father loading hay bales into the barn’s loft. When he reached down to pick up the last one his dad stopped and asked, “do you know which one that is?” He went on to answer, “that’s the one we’ve been looking for all day.” Well sure enough I’ve finally gotten to the part I’ve been looking for. This is where all the templates, jigs, drilling, and such come together. N...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Opposites Attract

04-22-2009 02:02 AM by newTim | 0 comments »

The last step in the process is to install the magnets. If you’ve followed this blog you may recall how I messed this up in the first Weather Station. Here’s a link to that particular mistake and my solution. http://lumberjocks.com/newTim/blog/7909. Of coarse the best solution is to get it right the first time. So here goes. I started by glueing in two magnets using CA glue. This time around I splurged on a 10MM drill bit to match the 10mmx5mm magnets. It seems it is muc...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase