LumberJocks

Weather Station

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by newTim updated 1855 days ago 6 parts 15434 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: And away we go...

1868 days ago by newTim | 5 comments »

Now that I finished the Japanese Garden Bench I had the chance to begin a project I’ve been noodling about since Christmas. This is exactly how I like things to go. Always have a book to read, always have a project on the bench, always have a project set to go. BTW, the book, Atlas Shrugged. 1,100+ pages. The most relevant book I’ve read, I highly recommend it, but I digress. In the pictures you can get a sense of what I’m shooting for. A Galileo Thermometer flanked w...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Its a bird... its a plane...

1866 days ago by newTim | 3 comments »

No. Its a highly engineered, precision instrument capable of lining up the parts of a Weather Station so accurate holes can be drilled for a perfect fit. In other words, a jig.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Fitting the instruments

1866 days ago by newTim | 3 comments »

I thought about these next steps all day today. This is another great thing about woodworking. I always have something to think about, something to plan, something to look forward to. This is turning out to be a fun little project. Next step is to figure out the style of base and top. I’m debating whether (pun) to do a pivoting top or a hinged top like a box lid. In either case I’m thinking about adding small magnets to hold it in place. It will give me something to think a...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Initial Glue Up

1861 days ago by newTim | 1 comment »

I thought the piece needed a little pizazz so I added ebony strips to the top and bottom. Ebony and maple look great and I think it added alot to the overall look. Next came sand, sand, sand… then a fairly straighforward and uneventful glue up, except one little thing. Check out the next blog entry to see a major screw up. Besides tape I also used a countersink bit to bevel the edges of the upward facing holes to help control squeeze out. It seemed to work pretty well and by the lo...

Read this entry »


Part 5: I am repelled...

1861 days ago by newTim | 5 comments »

So here’s a little advice. When you are working with matching sets of magnets, great care should be taken to make sure to set them in place so that the poles do not… Oooooops! Dag-nab-it! #$%^$#&*! Yup, you guessed it. How embarassing is that? I glued the magnets in backwards so they repelled each other. What to do? What to do? How am I going to fix this mess? Should I throw it away and, gulp, make a new part? Is there a way to reverse polarity? Turns out there i...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finished & Critique

1855 days ago by newTim | 2 comments »

So here’s the finished version. I applied two coats of GF Seal-A-Cell along with two GF top coats and a coat of wax with a lot of rubbing. First some bad news/good news. If you read my previous blog entry “I am repelled” I went through the process of fixing the magnet mistake. Well here’s another little oversight. The temperature tags on the balloons in the Galileo are metal. That’s the bad news. The good news is they are outside the range of the magnets i...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase