LumberJocks

Weather Station: The Next Generation #5: Glue Up; That's the one I've been looking for.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by newTim posted 1929 days ago 2619 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Drill Here, Drill Now Part 5 of Weather Station: The Next Generation series Part 6: Opposites Attract »

I remember Sen. Bob Dole telling the story of a day spent with his father loading hay bales into the barn’s loft. When he reached down to pick up the last one his dad stopped and asked, “do you know which one that is?” He went on to answer, “that’s the one we’ve been looking for all day.”

Well sure enough I’ve finally gotten to the part I’ve been looking for. This is where all the templates, jigs, drilling, and such come together. Now you can see where those ‘wing templates’ come in to play.

This time around though, I decided to pre-finish, heck I actually finished the parts before glue up. I used my typical wipe on varnish finish. A coat of Seal-A-Cell, two coats of Satin Top Coat, and on the wings I rubbed on some clear wax. FYI, I’m building two stations at a time. The left is Jatoba and the right is Mahogany.

Now on to the good part. In the first two stations I learned that no matter how accurate the templates and drilling, it was still hard to realign the parts so the dowels went in smoothly. This time around I decided to change the batting order and saved the last drilling and doweling for last. The first thing was to clamp the inner top and bottom to the clamping templates with spring clamps. This is just to make sure they don’t slide down or move when I put on the heavier clamps.

At this point I noticed the spacing of the middle was not as wide as I wanted so to achieve the ideal spacing I just added a couple of spacers on each side. (I had referenced this in an earlier blog entry.) You can make out the pencil mark on the left side of the template which shows the outer edge of the wing. And you can see how the three holes line up in the center of the thickness of the wing.

I added the second wing and secured the package with two clamps to hold it all in place while placing the Jet clamp underneath.

And here’s the money shot. You can see how the Jet clamp fits nicely into the bench vise and how I use the inner top/bottom as a drilling guide.


Here’s another shot of the setup. I did not glue the far right hand dowel in place yet as that hole will eventuallly be used for a pivoting pin. I have the option to glue that in later. Notice also I did not drill the inner two holes because the clamp was in the way. No worries, you can hit these later when the clamp is removed.

In this shot you can see how easy it is to turn the whole thing upside down in the bench vise to drill the bottom holes. BTW, the bottom dowels will remain proud and will be inserted into receiving holes in the base. The top dowels will be cut and sanded flush with the top. A pin will be inserted into the right hand hole for a pivot dowel for the outer top.

The bottom picture shows the inner section glued up with the Galileo and two magnets in place. I will show how I lined up the magnets in the next blog. Enjoy.

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase