LumberJocks

Art Deco TV Table #11: Put On A Happy Face: Another Round of Veneering

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by newTim posted 12-09-2015 06:21 PM 982 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: The Bottom of the Bottom Line Part 11 of Art Deco TV Table series Part 12: Need to Get Me Some Ribs »

More veneering. I actually have two veneer layers on the drawer fronts. This is not by design, rather by necessity. For various reasons the initial veneering was just not to the quality I wanted and there was some other visible damage. So the only option I could see was simply add another layer. But the question was how to do it?

Many many chapters ago I showed how I veneered the inside and outside of the curved fronts using a combination of vacuum bags and clamps over a bending form as seen in the picture below.

But this time around I picked up some books on wood bending, one of which written by Lon Schleining, Wood Bending Made Simple. In Chapter 7 he talks about compression straps and I thought this would be a good way to go, especially since I like to experiment with different designs and techniques. The following pictures show my process, yours, and Lon’s may be different, and likely better.

Here’s a shot with the front clamped the the edge of the table with the compression strap I built in the background. Notice the “U” shaped riser at the bottom which creates a tunnel for the clamp straps.

I first applied glue to both the drawer front and veneer and pressed the veneer in place before temporarily clamping the parts with spring clamps.


I applied the strap clamp by running it around the handles on the compression strap and removed the spring clamps. But notice the pockets created between the compression clamp and the drawer front? And there’s something you can’t see; the twist in the strap between the front and back with also created pockets. What to do? What to do?


Once again the answer, for me at least, was to use angled clamping cauls and apply screw clamps so I could get good pressure from front to back, and along the sides.

I used the heating and moving blankets again to give the glue a warm environment to set up and cure (see previous chapters).

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com



3 comments so far

View lightweightladylefty's profile

lightweightladylefty

3137 posts in 3172 days


#1 posted 12-10-2015 04:17 AM

Tim,

This looks like a good solution to a difficult clamping situation. What kind of glue did you use?

L/W

-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.

View newTim's profile

newTim

597 posts in 3066 days


#2 posted 12-11-2015 05:21 AM

I used Unibond ONE.

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com

View lightweightladylefty's profile

lightweightladylefty

3137 posts in 3172 days


#3 posted 12-11-2015 06:21 AM

Thanks, Tim, for the info on the adhesive.

L/W

-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com