When last we left off the bad dogs had eaten my bench and I had just replaced the arms. Assembly was pretty simple. Just slop some glue in the holes and on the tennons and clamp it up. I cut a bow in the top of the arm rests on the bandsaw and a rough curve on the fronts. Then I got to try out my new Rotex to see if they are as good as they claim to be. They are, it is, but I digress. In full disclosure, however, I did use my mini PC belt sander to due some of the heavy work. Still the Rotex was great at not only material removal, but the fine sanding too. And the dust collector is just amazing.
I sanded out the bite marks on the ends of the backrest top which made the curve steeper. I then shaped the ends of the arm rests to more or less match, trying to preserve the Japanese design elements.
So to review, we went from this…
And from this…
This is a very sturdy bench. The loose tennon joinery is fast and accurate with the Mortise Pal jig. And it was a straighforward repair. Now I have to train the dogs not to eat it.
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com