It is a walk down memory lane I just as soon not take, but it is nice to know you can go back if you have to. Last Fall after taking delivery of our new little cute vicious puppies, I made the mistake of leaving my bench in their puppy pen. I made it out of redwood in 2009 and it proved to be a tasty treat for sharp teeth. Yum! Aaaaaaaargh!
The main damage was to the end of the armrests and there was some damage to the ends of the backrest. I figured I could sand out the backrest, but the arms would need to be replaced. The plan was to cut them out in sections to provide access and room to trim the front arm supports flat, square, and level to each other. The sawzall made short work of the dissection and it was a fairly easy process to trim the supports with a circular saw. In the end I had a good platform to replace the arms. The original build was documented in this blog.
Next step is to recut the mortises. The original bench was built with 78 mortises cut with the Mortise Pal jig it would prove to be just as easy, accurate, and effective as it was the first time around. But that chapter will have to wait.
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com