I’ve heard that all learning is association. Well it is certainly true for me. I spent most of my shop time this weekend bouncing between research and experimentation. The more I experimented, the more the research made sense. And the more I researched, the better the experiments.
I played around with shellac as a sealer coat, and sanding back various colors in various layers. If something didn’t look good I tried another color or tried to sand it off, or just turned the piece over. On the research side I’ve been following Ed’s forum entry Issues with Water Based Aniline Dye. I watched a number of youtube videos by Charles Neil and various guitar and violin makers. And of course, I read and re-read Trifern's classic bog on how he colors turned vessel. I also watched The Woodwhisperer's You and Dye video. There is a ton of information available and now that I’ve tried my hand I am beginning to understand some of the techniques. Blotching remains an issue and I ordered some of Charles Neil’s blotch control solution. I’m looking forward to giving it a try.
The weekend was not all work and my wife and I were able to take a trip today up to Fieldstone Labs north of Auburn CA to pick out our new buddies. They’re five weeks old and we’ll bring them home in three weeks. We’re still looking for names!
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com