Thanks to Cory and input from other LJs, I was able to figure this thing out. Once you get past the idea of flipping the motor a number of possibilities become available. So I tossed the cabinet idea and went with Cory’s design. I did not include a Thein separator, and as you can see , I’m still using the flex hose as a conduit. Still and all, with a commercial cyclone lid from Woodcraft and about fifteen feet of 4” flex hose with a couple of ninety-degree bends, this things works awfully darned well. You’ll have to trust me, but there is very little dust collecting in the bag.
I used my assembly table to line up the motor and waist to get some measurements.
After building the cart I used a lift to place the blower in line with the collector.
Just like Cory, I cut down the large hose and used it for the two connections. There are no clamps. Since the hose itself is spring loaded the compression fit works just fine. In fact, the downward force probably helps seal the cyclone lid to the trash can.
Attaching the lower bag is a real pain, but I’ve discovered an easy way. I just used two large spring clamps to hold the back side of the bag in place. I inserted my thumbs along the sides of the bags and pulled them together working around the rim while pulling up on the bag. This was a new bag and had not been stretched, yet it was amazingly easy.
Note how the tip of each clamp is positioned above the level of the spring belt. I threaded the belt through the clamps then simply raised it into position to tighten and then removed the clamps.
Here’s a couple of shots of the final product.
I plan to install a run of 5” duct to the middle of the room along the same path as the flex hose, and I have to rewire the plug for a remote controller. Eventually I will also build a Thein separator, but for now it seems to be working fine.
Thanks to all for the comments and advice.
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com