Always experimenting, so this time around I thought I’d try to laminate some strips across the top of the arch. Three reasons, not necessarily good reasons, but reasons alll the same. One Is to cover the exposed endgrain at the top of the stiles. Another is to try to match the inner laminate that is used to hold the panel in place, the third is to… I forgot what the third reason is.
I ripped some strips on the tablesaw and ran them through the drum sander keeping the grain match with chalk triangles. Then I glued them up just like a cutting board and clamped the stack atop the arch. I clamped some scrap ply on the sides so I could clamp down the ends on an angle. I found that by positioning the clamp on the outside edge I was able to get really good pressure down on the corner.
I used a router to trim the laminate flush with the arch. The result was pretty good, and it looks even better with some sanding and a nice rounded edge.
Oh yeah, the third reason, I remember now, is to add width to the arch to better match the rest of the frame. Next up, The Inner Laminates.
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com