In the great tradition of Lumberjocks I am honor bound to once again confess the error of my ways. That sound you hear, no not that one, the other one, is the sound of me learning. Just like the Garden Gate I managed to mess up with the router.
It all started when I glued the inner frame without cutting the mortises on the outside rails.
While this is not optimal it is still not tragic. While I am a big fan of the Mortise Pal jig and you can see its versatility in this shot, it is still not foolproof. In this case me being the fool.
The jig rides like a saddle with one fence fixed and the other adjusts in and out to the thickness of the stock. The router has a guide bushing which rides in a plastic template which is affixed to an adjustable tray that locks in place. Sometimes it doesn’t.
It isn’t the fault of the jig. With all the mortises I was cutting it is easy for the small lever to loosen due to vibration. And it is easy to push the router bushing against the template with to much force. In any event the tray slipped and the mortise blew out the good side of the frame.
I used a straight bit and guide on the router to cut a rabbet the length of the frame (long grain) and wide enough to remove the damage. I milled up some maple from the cut off bin and beveled one edge on the joiner to get as tight a fit as possible. After a glue and a bunch of clamps I flush trimmed the patch to match the frame and used a small plane, scraper, and sander to smooth it all out. Then I recut the mortises making d—- sure to lock everything down.
And here’s the result.
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com