Between the All Star game on one channel and USA v. China Men’s Volleyball on the other, I thought I’d squeeze in a short entry. The design of this gate is a little different from the first. I like to change up the designs so I can experiment with new or different skills. There is an existing gate hanging from a galvanized pipe frame that is very sturdy so I wanted to attach the new gate to this frame. Here’s the sketchup model.
What I’ve learned about lap joints is the same lesson from mortises, that being it is easier to fit the tenon or in this case the rail, to the mortise than it is the mortise to the tenon. At least it is for me. So I ripped the rails a little wider with the idea I’d simply trim them down to get a nice fit.
I used the base plate from the router table because it is big and square. I measured its width and divided by two. I then drew two lines on each side of the center line subtracting for the bit’s radius. I then set up two guide clamps making sure they were square and made matching cuts across both stiles.
At that point it was pretty easy to rip the rails to get the exact width for a good fit. I also made sure to mark the matching parts as the top and bottom grooves were not the exact same width.
And next time on the New California Workshop… finally, the patina gets applied to the copper panel
-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com