This past weekend I’m still dealing with some home repairs that need to be done before it gets to cold. We had a very old deck replaced with a smaller one and in the process I took down some smaller trees to better adjust the fence to it’s size. All went well but sadly its take my time away from working on this project.
Last we left off I had the parts sized and and ready to drill the compound angles. I was lucky enough to find some larger Irwing auger bits, I was looking for 1-1/6 (17) and found it and a few others 18, 20, 22. All in good shape but all needing sharpening or resharpening.
As you can the very ragged hole centerish is where I started and ended with the one of the left.
A friend who stopped by pointed out it would it would seem as I gather new tools I’m spending a lot of time sharpening. Is is this is evident by by the lack of hair on the back side of my hands and the cuts on my fingers. ;-)
Once sharpened I went to work with the spoke pointer and adjustable hollow auger. I sized this already as well as adjusting the stops.
Ready for the hollow auger
The cut is not the cleanest but cut I think some future adjustment on the angle of the cutter should help. Ether wy this will be fine for my use.
Once the legs were done I drilled the compound angles in the tops. I used a sliding T bevel as a gauge to to get my brace started. Once the angle was good I switched over to a T handle as the hard maple was kicking my ass with a 10 brace.
With the holes drilled I pulled my spoke shaver into the shop. I built this 7 or 8 years ago to help in make Greenland style kayaking paddles the design worked great for the longer pieces but I find it a little trickier for shorter things. I used it to flair out the legs a little. I ran out of time before I go one to where I liked it and I’d rather wait till I have the time to feel it out and not rush.
That it for this week. hopefully I can find a bit more time in the next week or so. I also took some vid that I will post.