I guess I have this far enough along to call it in progress and share out.
The project is a pair of saw benches built in what I’d call the “chair style”. This is my first attempt at chair legs and I figured it’s a forgiving enough project. For inspiration and sizing I looked at a number of articles by Chris Schwarz but really like the design of “making and using saw horses” by Adam Cherubini in Popular woodworking April 2006 issue 154.
However he built them by axe and what I’ll call “Woodwright style”, cutting down the trees and such and well. .. I just don’t have the setup for that and my design tastes are a little more modern.
I’ve always been interested in chair design and In particular like the flaired square leg. What’s held me off is I have no experience or access to a lathe. Then out some point I read or saw some info about hollow augers and started looking for a used one. Both my hollow auger, and spoke pointer were made by A.A. Woods & Sons but a number of companies made them. I bought them a month or so ago and spent some time last weekend sharpening the blades.
Not having experience with them I did a bit of Googling and for the most part they are straight forward. The hollow auger has a skewed low angle blade that can be adjusted in/out as well as angled at the cutting edge much like a plane. The mouth opening is adjustable from around 1-1/6 to 1/2 and has a depth gauge to keep you honest. The spoke pointer has a wider cutting blade that’s sharpened at a slightly higher angle and also has a depth gauge.
You start with the spoke pointer to round the edges then move to the adjustable hollow auger. I wanted around a 1-1/4 but the adjustable auger I have go to 1-1/6 which will be fine.
I glued up scrape 2X4’s to use for a test to adjust the dowel size. The spoke pointer makes short work of trimming the edges that’s to the sharp blade. The hollow auger takes a little more care in getting it started, you need to check it’s centered and cutting straight.
Rounding of the corners with the spoke pointer.
Care is needed in getting it started.
Once centered I turned it to gain leverage. The auger does cut smoothly once it gets going.
Sized it to fit snug at 1-1/6
So at this point I’ve got all the parts ready to go. The tops are made from ambrosia maple and the legs are soft maple. Both of which I bought rough cut locally and are not he highest of quality but will work great for this. The legs were tapered on the table saw and I’ll be going back to shape them slightly more on the spoke shaver.
kegs ready for shaping
This tree had been hit with bird shot in places so planing was a little tricky.
Currently waiting on some Irwin auger bits to use on the compound angles for the legs. I figured If it’s to difficult to maintain the angle with my hand brace I can always switch to a Forstner bit and on my drill press..
More TK as they say. . .