A friend of mine had just the table top but no base or chairs. He had a picture of chairs that wen with it so I tried to come close to matching them. I glued up a hexagon out of 1” thick maple and turned them on the lathe for the pillars of the table. All the material in the table base and chairs is maple painted black. The chair’s back rest piece have a 1/2” bow to them. I resawed maple down to 1/4” and then planed down to 3/16”, took an old 4×4 and cut an arc in it to use as my glueing jig to hold the curve. I turned all the other parts on the lathe. The seats are cherry and have the depression in them. I took my 4 1/2” angle grinder with a sanding wheel on it and shaped it out and then finished sanded. There are a total of 6 chairs. The table top has 2 leafs in it to extend out so it will sit 6 comfortably. This is my first try at making chairs like this. Although it was quite challenging, it was worth it. I learned a lot on how to drill holes at angles and how to pulll all the pieces together as one piece. The only right angle is across the front.
|Blog entry by neal_v||posted 11-13-2009 01:39 PM||780 reads||0 times favorited||0 comments|