With the drawers done, its on to the small things.
First, I have made a decision on the pulls. George Nakashima on his “Rose’s Night Stand” after which my project took, uses some sort of natural edge wood block.
Not to engage in blasphemy, (sorry George) in my opinion, this pull looks a bit chunky to me. I liked the idea though, and have decided to use some Redwood Burl pen blanks for pulls. Here’s a tease…
But, more on that in the next post.
Also, I decided to make a magnetic catch for the door, housed in a walnut strip running along the top of the door. The magnet is set in a recess made by a forstner bit. I’ll use a smaller magnet inset in the door frame. The amount of hold doesn’t need to be strong, just keep the door secure.
On to the base.
Here is the basic layout. It will fit the length and depth of the cabinet.
The “curve” and the bridle joints were cut on the bandsaw.
There is also a 10 degree angle cut on the ends.
Next part I will continue the small bits, and move on to sanding
-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...