It’s been a few days, so I’m now nearing the end of this project.
On today’s list was to get the interior drawers made up. So first, I had to prepare the stock for the drawer “case” and “runners”. I went with Sapele for these to continue the contrast between the walnut and sapele.
There’s four drawers all together, the top two are 2 1/2” and the bottom two are 3”.
The drawers are going to mimic the main drawer of the cabinet, meaning walnut faces with poplar sides, and half-blind dovetail joinery.
As explained in part 1 of this blog, this is the first time I have tackled any kind of dovetail, and I found going through this project that the one thing I agree with the “experts” on cutting dovetails, is that they get better and faster the more you cut. By the second and third drawer, I was really in the dovetail groove, and I think they came out well. Some people don’t like the look of a larger pin, but I didn’t mind it in these drawers.
The next step was to secure the drawer “case” in place. Some glue on the sides and the dadoes made this relatively painless, as the runners made the case fit was rather snug.
But, I have yet to glue the drawers up and fit them, because I am still deciding on the material to use for pulls.
The next part will cover the door catch, the base, and hopefully, the pulls.
-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...