The goal today was to get the main drawer finished and to hang the frame an panel door.
First, I finished preparing the drawer back, panel, and sanded to 220 for the inside parts. Then on to glue up.
The drawer face was initially fitted to be tight in the opening… BUT… the pins on the drawer front were proud of the drawer sides (tail boards), meaning to get a flush fit, I had to take material off the edge of the drawer front, ruining the fit, and leaving me with a pretty unacceptable gap on the drawer sides relative to the opening.
So, I was able to get the drawer apart, and make a new drawer front.
Now, on to the frame and panel door…
I prepared the stock and cut a 1/4” groove centered on the rails and stiles to accept the panel. First, I sized the vertical stiles to fit snug in the opening.
Next, I cut the rails oversized, and crept up on making a stub tenon to slide in the groove of the stile.
Then I began to fit the panel. I could use the exact length of the rail to size the panel horizontally, and slowly crept up on the size vertically. Then off to glue and some plane work to flatten it after. The panel was sanded to 220 prior to glue up.
I then fit and cut the knife hinge mortise on the door. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I just didn’t take as many today.
Then I tested the fit by hanging the doors. The result is far from perfect, but I am satisfied. This piece is for personal use, if I was selling it, I might consider a re-do. I am a little dissatisfied by the size of the gaps.
Tomorrow I am planning on making some kind of magnetic catch for the door, pulls for the door an drawer. And then it will be on to fitting drawers on the inside, and finally tackling the base.
Thanks for looking. Critique is always welcome.
-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...