A big challenge of this project has been sequencing. Last post i thought the next step would be to tackle the door and knife hinges, but I think I got ahead of my self.
First, I needed to make the Krenov Style Shelf on the inside. I’ll be making this out of walnut, so I prepared the stock. Then I need to rout 3 stopped dadoes on the case bottom and sides to house the shelf. Notice that the bottom groove is not quite centered and the side grooves are at different heights.
The top shelf is joined with another mitered edge dovetail, and the lower shelf is fitted into a grove in the vertical divider.
Next, I needed to surface prep the inside of the cabinet. This meant pulling everything apart, getting out the smoothing plane and then sanding up to 220. I only surfaced the inside, everything on the outside will be accessible later.
Then, with all the interior parts sanded, I can layout the knife hinge locations.
The offset from the cabinet sides should be the thickness of the spacer in the hinge, which was the thickness of one of my card scrapers. Using the scraper as a spacer against the side, the hinge is positioned so that half of the hole hangs over the front edge.
I used a marking knife to scribe around the edge. I do this for the case bottom and the bottom side of the drawer web frame. I then pulled everything apart, and using a 1/8” router bit with the depth set to the hinge thickness, carefully removed the waste.
Then, using chisels, I cleaned up the hinge mortise. Fits pretty well.
With that done, I decided to glue up the cabinet, that way I can really get a good measurement for my door frame.
I’ll let this set over night, and tomorrow i will begin the frame and panel door, followed by drawer construction.
-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...