LumberJocks

Dining Room Set Refurbish

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by mtkate updated 1275 days ago 5 parts 13788 reads 26 comments total

Part 1: What style am I?

1367 days ago by mtkate | 9 comments »

To make a long story short, a dining room set that has been in our family since the early 70’s has come under my care. It’s all white oak and we know it’s at least 100 years old (but probably not more). Believed to have been made in New Brunswick. If the set was made around 1900 or so, what would you call the style …. Victorian Revival? One of the chairs is below. The upholstering is real leather. The original finish was the darkest mahogany color you see left ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Interesting challenges from past "fixes" to the chair

1360 days ago by mtkate | 3 comments »

It’s amazing how many problems can result when someone tries to fix something fast. And all this is on just one chair!!! . . . . .On the last image – not only was an extra screw hole added but the screw was put in straight onto the rail and whoever did it pierced the wood a bit on the other side as the screw was simply too long (AND too thick). I guess the most difficult part will be filling in the sections of oak that broke off. Over the last couple ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: First chair ready to assemble

1290 days ago by mtkate | 6 comments »

Plenty of elbow grease went into this…. but my first chair is finally prepped and ready to assemble. I am going to let the pieces “rest” for the day. Only 5 more chairs, a table and a buffet to go (LOL). ....I learned that this set has a flaw in the design – nearly all of the leg posts that join onto the rails holding the seat area together are cracked. The mortise wall was simply too thin to the edge to sustain over the years. I am already starting the fixes on ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: First glue up - holding my breath

1283 days ago by mtkate | 6 comments »

I’ll see how this all comes together in 24-48 hours from now… I used many cuss words getting this together – and had to scream for help with the clamp positioning. You can never had enough clamps – as you can see I was reduced to using my crappy craftsman standby clamp. I don’t think the stretchers are going to hold well through time. They just “feel” weak. For other chairs, I might add more wood to them. Not sure yet. ..After the glue up...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Started on the table.... strip, sand, strip, sand....

1275 days ago by mtkate | 2 comments »

Nothing to see here yet, just marking my progress…. more for myself. Today I did some finishing touch-ups on the first chair, going around and being sure all the glue squeeze-out I missed was removed. Hide glue peels off easily off the finished pieces. Painted on some of the oil based gel in spots where I managed to nick the finishing (tsk tsk) in my glue-up. Waxed it up again. Gotta find an upholsterer retailer around here for the leather….. I took apart the 7 foot lon...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase