LumberJocks

Dining Room Set Refurbish #4: First glue up - holding my breath

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by mtkate posted 01-22-2011 11:07 PM 2777 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: First chair ready to assemble Part 4 of Dining Room Set Refurbish series Part 5: Started on the table.... strip, sand, strip, sand.... »

I’ll see how this all comes together in 24-48 hours from now…

I used many cuss words getting this together – and had to scream for help with the clamp positioning. You can never had enough clamps – as you can see I was reduced to using my crappy craftsman standby clamp.

I don’t think the stretchers are going to hold well through time. They just “feel” weak. For other chairs, I might add more wood to them. Not sure yet.


.
.
After the glue up, I ran a damp cloth around the squeeze out and I think I got most of it. I noticed I have a few spots to retouch with color – which will be easy. Now I have to find a place that sells the right leather to start the re-upholstering.



6 comments so far

View jack1's profile

jack1

1952 posts in 2771 days


#1 posted 01-23-2011 01:49 AM

That’s looking really great. You are a plugger!

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View mahadevwood's profile

mahadevwood

409 posts in 1763 days


#2 posted 01-24-2011 06:04 AM

Realy it’s nice , Great job !

-- http://www.mahadevwood.com

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 2069 days


#3 posted 01-30-2011 12:55 AM

I took it apart yesterday, laid in the seat and sat on it. Back to being sturdy. I wonder how many years it will last before the next glue up…..

View jack1's profile

jack1

1952 posts in 2771 days


#4 posted 01-30-2011 05:43 AM

what kind of glue did you use?

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 2069 days


#5 posted 05-22-2011 08:39 PM

Hey Jack -so sorry for late replies. I’ve had a medical problem so things have been askew.

I actually used hide glue – from the TiteBond line. Piece by piece – and of course replacing pine dowels with hardwood… and fixing missing wood to be sure the bonds are tight.

AND – success! So this is the only chair that is fit to be sat on now. However, I have not fixed the seat so I still have the old plywood and leather just plopped on. On Mother’s Day, I had the family over and I told them ONLY I can sit on that chair for that reason.

Well, let’s say dad did not get the full message. When I went into the kitchen he decided to try to get a photograph and put his knee in the middle of the plywood. In he went! The chair seat split in two… but the chair held!!!!

Proud of the work, to be sure!

View jack1's profile

jack1

1952 posts in 2771 days


#6 posted 05-24-2011 12:52 AM

Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the reply too. No seat will now be an added incentive to finish!! ;0)

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase