Lots of work at home but I need to give at least short update about the major upgrades I released today. I was working on these for quite some time and I was receiving numerous related requests. But as you will see these upgrades resulted in a serious revamp of our unique Pulse so I actually spent more time on planning / thinking than on actual coding.
In summary, I’ve added the Watchlist feature that allows you to be notified – on the Pulse page or also by the emails – about new comments posted… not only on your own posts but on any posts that you add to your personal Watchlist. This de facto turns on those “comments on my comments” notifications that were mentioned numerous times in the forums.
So how this works you ask. I tried to keep things as simple and streamlined as possible. Following points describe the process:
- When you add new post (project, blog entry, forum topic, review, workshop) it is automatically added to your Watchlist.
- When you’re posting new comment you can choose if you want to add the respective post to your Watchlist or not.
- You can see green Watch and red Unwatch toggle button on each post (in the top right corner) to easily start/stop watching the respective post.
- Email notification settings have been simplified. You can turn on/off email notifications for all watched posts at once.
- I decided to integrate Watchlist directly to the Pulse page. Believe me I was scratching my head about this ;) I didn’t want to add just another checkbox to already cluttered Pulse settings. So I decided to think out of the box and replaced all those challenging dropdowns and checkboxes with just a few predefined Pulse views: new posts & my watchlist (shows all posts that you never checked and new comments on your watched posts), new posts (shows all posts that you never checked), my watchlist (shows new comments on your watched posts), all activity (shows new comments on all posts) and profiles (shows never checked Jock profiles as well as new comments on them – for those who like welcoming new members). New posts & my watchlist is selected by default and I consider this to be the most natural way to use your personalized Pulse – you read the post that you never checked and then you either add it to your watchlist or not. When you start watching the post it will be automatically brought to the top if there are any new comments. Finally you can select time period on the right and see only posts active in the last 24 hours, 7 days or 30 days.
- There is a new My Watchlist link in the My LumberJocks dropdown.
Note that all of you previous posts were automatically added to your Watchlist during this upgrade.
Well this is going to take some time to get used to – especially for those using the Pulse frequently. But I believe that the whole process is going to be much smoother now. Plus you can get notified in all those discussions you participate in – not only authored by you.
Any feedback is appreciated.
And MERRY CHRISTMAS, LumberJocks!