As you may noticed I’ve added new posting rules to the site. You can see red “View the posting rules” link above each textarea. Just click on it to expand the latest version of the rules.
These rules are not here to restrict healthy woodworking discussions. They are simply the reaction to some recent incidents and are focusing primarily on personal attacks, offensive posts, advertising as well as political and religious controversies. Note that these new rules will not be retroactively applied to any past posts.
There are two rules that were especially tricky to define and set – advertising and religion/politics – so let me share my opinion about them:
- no advertising – we must start getting strict about this since we have real advertisers spending money to advertise on our site. Plus it’s evident that personal business interests can dramatically influence the tone of discussions. There are following exceptions to this rule: you can still label your woodworking projects as “for sale” and you can include your personal business website in your signature as well as in your profile. And I’d like to add premium business membership features in the near future.
- no politics/religion – although we respect everyone’s views on politics and religion we have found from past experiences that it’s in the best interest of our online community to avoid such discussions unless they are directly related to woodworking (ex. discussing woodworking project from the church). There is simply no better and faster way to derail a topic than to bring in religion/politics. Let’s talk woodworking here ;)
So here are the current posting rules:
The goal of our online communities is to provide individuals with a place to share and discuss common interests and to form friendships with others from around the world. We reserve the right to remove any messages that are contradictory to this goal and/or ban the offending member from the site.
READ THE RULES BELOW AND UNDERSTAND THEM BEFORE POSTING
- Be civil, courteous and respectful to all.
- Keep your posts appropriate for our members of all ages to read/see.
- Don’t get personal. A good general rule to follow is, “criticize ideas, not people”.
- We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks.
- Postings deemed to be Spam will be removed.
- Don’t discuss politics and religion, as long as it is not directly related to woodworking.
- Don’t advertise directly on the site. If you have a product that you would like to advertise contact our advertising department. Note that labeling projects as “for sale” as well as adding your business website to your profile and signature is allowed. Premium business features will be added in the future.
- Off-topic discussions should be posted in the Coffee Lounge Forum. Please remember to keep such postings appropriate for all our members to read/see.
- Debates with other member(s) that are not beneficial to the site as a whole are to be done through the private message system.
- You are responsible for following the copyright rules. Don’t post photos/content by others without consent/credit given.
Each message posted is owned by and the opinion of the original poster. Neither lumberjocks.com nor its owners or webmasters are legally responsible for anything posted on these forums.
The site managers reserve the right to remove any or all of your messages at any time and remove you if they see fit.
HANDLING OF INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT
- Refrain from responding to such content in a manner that perpetuates the situation.
- Inform the site managers of comments/contents that you deem inappropriate
- The site managers will determine if intervention is necessary and what the next course of action is:
- The offending material may be removed from the site immediately.
- The individual may be contacted privately and told to refrain from posting inappropriate material immediately.
- The individual may be banned from the site immediately without any warning.
I hope this step will help to further enhance the overall quality of the discussions here at LumberJocks.