The recent happenings in the forums made me think seriously about the future of LumberJocks. This website has been built on the foundation of woodworking projects and knowledge sharing instead of general chat site for those that just want to buddy around. I came to a conclusion that these two principal differences cannot coexist under one roof.
I had to make this tough decision as soon as possible before it is too late. And I decided to go back to the roots of what made LumberJocks so special, and that is focus on woodworking. There are enough (well I’d say too many already) social websites to hang around in.
Instead I want LumberJocks to be the best online resource for novice as well as expert woodworkers through the unique woodworking projects showcase accompanied by great woodworking tutorials and constructive woodworking questions&answers in the forums.
There are two outcomes of this decision. First, off-topic Coffee Lounge forum is no longer open for new posts and second, the posting rules has been updated as follows:
- Postings are to be woodworking related and family updates only.
- Postings are to be supportive and beneficial to the site as a whole, to the woodworking craft, to our LJ community, and to our members.
- Keep your posts appropriate for our members of all ages to read/see.
- Be civil, courteous and respectful to all.
- Don’t get personal. A good general rule to follow is, “criticize ideas, not people”.
- Debates with other member(s) that are not beneficial to the site as a whole are to be done through the private message system.
- We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks.
- Postings deemed to be Spam will be removed.
- Don’t advertise your business or the business you are affiliated with. If you have a product or service that you would like to advertise contact our advertising department. Note that labeling projects as “for sale” as well as adding your business website to your profile and signature is allowed. Premium business features will be added in the future.
- You are responsible for following the copyright rules. Don’t post photos/content by others without consent/credit given.
I believe this change will make our LumberJocks woodworking website better in the long run…