In order to continue challenging us to develop our creativity and woodworking skills let me present another challenge to you, with the support of Popular Woodworking.
Google SketchUp is a powerful yet easy-to-learn 3D software tool that is currently being discussed in each woodworking forum or group. Yes, it can save you costs during the designing phase and it will boost the creativity of your finished pieces when you master it.
And what’s the best way to learn how to use that mysterious SketchUp tool everybody is talking about? How about taking our challenge? Encourage yourself to study the basics or even the more advanced features that will allow you to build the virtual Dining Table! Shaker or arts & crafts or some other style? Not a problem – it’s your table and your choice.
Note that your table must be based on a building, a bridge, or even a mountain range and as part of the challenge you must include a picture of your inspiration in your entry. Then, in your blog, describe how and why you used specific aspects in your table design.
Glen Huey, Senior Editor of PW says: “If your basis is the Washington Monument you can design the building shape as your table legs. Make the aprons with the design of the Golden Gate Bridge cable structure if you choose it as your inspiration. Or, add a carving to the legs that resembles the spiral staircase from the Vatican. Pull individual design ideas from your inspiration or “basis of design”. You can make the design of your table as unique as yourself.”
And in addition to learning a new tool, you can also win great prizes – how cool?
- Four PW editors will judge the contest as well as provide a signed book or DVD as a prize for the top three entries – Bob Lang’s “The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker,” Megan Fitzpatrick’s “The Essential Pine Book,” Christopher Schwarz’s “Workbenches from Design & Theory to Construction & Use” (available late October 2007) and Glen Huey’s “Fine Furniture for a Lifetime.” That’s four valuable resources of woodworking information awarded to each of the top three entries.
- One random winner will get a SketchUp Pro license ($495 value)
- Three random winners will get cool LJ shirt
How to Enter and Official Rules
- Just add your entry as the regular blog entry (not as the project) and tag it with challenge03 (of course you may add any additional tags too):
Note that you don’t need to use ‘challenge03’ in the blog entry title.
- Describe your modeling process in the blog entry and add at least one screenshot of the finished dining table model created by you. Note that your table needs to be able to be built in the real world.
- Include a picture of your inspiration in your entry.
- The entry deadline is September 30th.
- Winners will be announced online at LumberJocks.com and PopularWoodworking.com on October 15th.
- Download Google SketchUp here
- Watch dining table video tutorial by Bob here
- Bob's SketchUp tutorials
- Official Google SketchUp resources (check out the right sidebar)
- Official SketchUp tutorials