I got an idea last week to make our home page more inviting to new visitors. The idea was to introduce our community – us – through showing what we love. All those “latest” boxes (projects, blogs, forums) were nice but was telling nothing special about us. Now we have 4 main sections on the home page:
- we love to work the wood – featured LumberJock spotlight. This section shows 5 project of randomly selected LumberJock on each page reload. To have the opportunity to become featured you must of course have at least 5 projects posted.
- we spend lots of time in our shops – shows 30 randomly selected workshops on the map
- we love to write and share – presents 5 randomly selected blog series that have at least 3 parts. Write more and your chance to become featured on the home page increases.
- oh… and we’re really active here at LumberJocks.com – enjoy – just our great Pulse view to show new visitors what’s happening on the site right now.
That’s it… pure and simple home page that immediately introduces us and presents the featured works and writings. I’d really love your feedback on this change.
I’ve also released two additional small design changes together with the home page redesign:
- enhanced LogoJock ;)
- “stores toolbar” was moved under the content of each page and instead I’ve added animated Announcements bar to the header. It highlights 3-5 important announcements and is very easy to update. Together with Debbie we want to keep it fresh and synchronized with all of our major events and offers. Thanks to this change we now also have much more room for the content at the top since the “stores toolbar” was quite large there.