The original plans said to build this after building the carcass, but I am not one to follow every direction. So it was up first. Design was completed and away I go.
Even though I decided to make the UTS out of plywood, I made the torsion box out of MDF to take advantage of the its dead-flatness. I shrank the dimensions a bit so the plywood face would be flush with the rest of the carcass. I also moved around the rails so the casters would line up with the hardwood inside supports.
I have a cheap Ryobi table saw and no dado set, so I did my best with the notches. A miter saw template worked well(ish). Overall, the notches were a tad loose in some places, but once everything was set, the thing was tight as could be.
While I didn’t necessarily worry about only using glue on the rails, I still added pocket screws to help the process. I added hardwood inserts on the ends and at the two middle caster locations.
Speaking of the casters. I went with 6 so the added length of the UTS didn’t sag in the middle over time. I found some 5” casters with a weight capacity of 350lbs. Should be enough. I also sealed the torsion box with some primer just in case of moisture issues in the garage.
All together, a pain, but a good start. I don’t get to make a ton of things, so making anything only sharpens my skill and makes me appreciative of where I began in woodworking.
And apparently I never took a picture of the finished torsion box. So it goes.
-- Beat it to fit. Paint it to match.