So this past weekend I was able to complete the workbench with the help of my wife. I found that drilling holes perfectly straight with a hand drill is not as easy as one may think. I had to re-drill the holes in the legs slightly larger to make up for my inaccuracy. My bench top drill press is just a little small to be able to drill thru a 4×4. It worked great to do the recesses for the nuts to go on the rods.
After altering the legs we were able to assemble the bench pretty easily. The build consists of 2 4×4 cut into 4 32 inch legs. 4 2×4 made up 8 runners, 1 4×8 sheet of 3/4in plywood cut to size for the lower shelf and bench top. The top is two pieces laminated and screwed to make a 1 1/2” thick top. 4 3/8 steel rods with 16 washers and nuts make up the 8 stringers. The bench top is edged with 1×2 pine just to dress it up a little. Top is sprayed with 3 coats of poly acrylic sanded between each coat. I may epoxy coat in the future. The rest of the bench is left natural.
Top is birch, the legs are red oak and the runners white oak. I can jump up on the bench and it does not move with all 195 lbs of me on it.
Used the table saw for the first time after installing the new fence. I had to dial in the fence since I did not make any test cuts after installing it last week. The fence was off by a 64th out of the box. After I adjusted the measurement marker it was consistently 1/1000 off from 1 – 12 inches using a digital caliper. Cut the shelf to 24 inches wide and was exact. Now i am happy I replaced the fence.
I have to say the router has to be one of the best all around tools. I used it to trim up the top of the bench exact to each other. I also cut the 4×4 cutouts in the lower shelf and used the router to straighten it. I used it for all the dados.
Still haven’t gotten the planer out, my wife spilled the beans and told me she ordered the stand for it. My switch for the table saw should be hear wednesday, the one I had bought originally is strictly for 220v, I will use the bracket and housing from this one and swap the switch. When I do the electrical upgrade to the house I will rewire the saw to 220v and use the switch then.