LumberJocks

My New Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by mramseyISU updated 08-27-2015 03:54 PM 5 parts 10645 reads 10 comments total

Part 1: Starting the Bench Top

06-12-2015 02:36 PM by mramseyISU | 5 comments »

I thought this might be fun to document building a new bench that I’ve been wanting to do for about a year now. My current bench is made out of about 2 sheets of 3/4” plywood and has a sheet of MDF laminated to plywood for the top. It was a good starter bench but I moved to a new house about 2 years ago and now my workshop is in the basement and it’s just too big. I don’t know what style you’d call this new bench exactly but if I had to be pinned down I’d s...

Read this entry »


Part 2: It's flat(ish)

06-15-2015 07:34 PM by mramseyISU | 2 comments »

Busy weekend but I got the ends cut off, still some work to do truing them up since I’m not an expert with a handsaw and went off line more than I would have liked. So I’ve got some work to do squaring that up. I made some progress with my No 5 plane but I got sick of it so I moved on to working on the top. I kept the No 5 out to rough out the top and worked it in a crisscross pattern using the edge of my plane as a straight edge. When I got it to where I thought the crown ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Chopping the Leg Mortises

07-08-2015 03:20 PM by mramseyISU | 0 comments »

Time to get on with the part I was dreading the most, chopping mortise for the legs in the benchtop. I was dreading this because they were so big, 1”W x 4”L x 2”D to be exact. I roughed out the tenons on my tablesaw with a dado stack so nothing really to see there, then I finished them with my router plane. Next came the chop chop. These were the first mortises I’ve ever tried to cut completely with hand tools. I’ve done several where I drilled out most of the wa...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finishing the Base and Installing the Vice

08-05-2015 04:21 PM by mramseyISU | 2 comments »

Ok so I’m getting behind on this but I’ve been working away at the bench I swear. After I got the main mortise and tenons done for attaching the top to the legs I moved on to getting the stretchers done. The legs don’t fit on my little benchtop drill press so I’m chopping mortises again. I might be getting good at this before I’m done. I had already cut the stretchers and I found a nice screw-up. The long stretchers were the correct length but I took a 1/4R...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The Home Stretch

08-27-2015 03:54 PM by mramseyISU | 1 comment »

Finally I’m done. Break out the champagne. Here’s the home stretch, I took some time off but where I left off was everything but the shelf. I bought a Stanley 45 back in May and really hadn’t used it much so I figured the shelf on this bench was the way to go. I could learn on something that only I’d see and if I screwed something up so what. By the end of it I was getting pretty consistent tongue and groove joints. Once I got all of them planed down with the jo...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com