I quickly discovered I had way too much wood for this head, much too wide! So I spent a lot of time whittling it down to a better fit! I may have to shrink it a bit more, but I am still mainly trying to get the rough shapes. Better too much than not enough I suppose. I did add some difficulty to the carving by choosing to do the mane like I have.
With a mane that just lays down on the neck, you can just round over and shape the neck, then carve your hair out of that. Since this sticks up, I have to carve around it…....making v cuts to shape the round taper of the back of the neck and still leave enough to do the curls and swirls in the mane itself. It makes it more difficult to get to certain areas and also can make it a little delicate where it meets the head. But I have a love of carousel horses, especially those carved by Dentzel and the Philidelphia Toboggan Company with this style of mane. I occasionally get frustrated with some of my carvings, but I have learned it is sometimes easier to do larger carvings than it is smaller ones. Smaller work uses less wood, but requires more accuracy…cutting off 1/4” on the nose of a life size carving has less of an impact than it does on one this size.
You can see a little better in this how I want the mane to look and also the simple cuts that define the planes of the head. Separating the ears and removing a few triangles of wood make it start to look more horsey-fied. Unless I shrink it too much! Thanks for looking.
-- Mike P., Arkansas, http://mikepounders.weebly.com