I picked up an old Diston and Sons rip saw a few months ago but haven’t need to do any large work with it yet. I did try to test cut the saw and found it to be impossible. Last night I bit the bullet and got out the saw sharpening equipment. I started by jointing the teeth. I couldn’t believe how far out some of them were and was begining to wonder if I would ever get a flat spot on all of them. I did finally get there and then I checked the tooth line with a straight edge. Fortunatly the saw was slightly breasted and I didn’t have to do anything else to it. I proceded to sharpen all of the teeth which went along nicely but a bit slow. The hieght I was working at was not ideal either and about half way through I could feel it in my back but I got it finished. A quick look down the saw confirmed that there was still plenty of set in the saw so I went for a test cut. Here is where I was surprised. Even with the saw sharp I could not saw a line without the saw binding in the cut. I wasn’t sure what was wrong until I looked at the side of the blade and saw rust streaks that had been rubbed fresh by the wood. A quick sanding and buffing with some steel wool and a coat of paste wax on the blade and it was time for a second go at it. This time the saw melted through the board. I’m thrilled to finally have a functioning alternative to the table saw and can’t wait for a project that I can use this saw for.
-- Mike, Western New York