LumberJocks

Craftsman built-ins #8: Fireplace surround

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by mountainaxe posted 490 days ago 1311 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Knee wall #2 Part 8 of Craftsman built-ins series Part 9: bookcases »

Back in to the breach! As we approach ever nearer to Christmas day, my wife has been insisting that I return to the shop posthaste and build a fireplace surround for an electric unit we purchased last month so she can hang the stockings, etc. I figured that this project shouldn’t be that difficult. The fireplace itself contained instructions as to the opening size required. I already knew that I wanted to build a comprehensive unit based on a 1907 Stickley built-in design that includes flanking bookcases. I’ll downsize a little: About 48” tall and 42” wide. This is the idea:

The enclosure is made with 3/4” hardwood plywood secured to a 2 by 4 pine frame. I half lap jointed the 2×4s for extra stability. The mantel top was also constructed with 3/4” harwood plywood, but took a little more attention to detail. Since it overhangs the enclosure by 5” I had to cut 45 degree miters on 6 sides to complete the box. I used both my table saw and RAS and it came together better than expected. I primed it with a couple coats of Zinsser BIN and this is the result:

I also purchased a pair of corbels on line as I knew this was something beyond my present band saw skill set. Pricey at $75, but well worth it, I think. I secured them to the unit via bolts:

I painted the corbels a little later. Next step was to prepare the house for installation. I removed a portion of the baseboard trim using a new tool my wife let me purchase…a Bosch corded oscillating saw. This tool works like a dream; it’s easy to use and incredibly precise in tight corners. See the results:

I once again enlisted the help of my neighbors teenage sons to carry the enclosure/matel from shop to house. It was very awkward and heavy due to the overhanging mantel top. I secured the unit to the wall studs and the insert fit like a glove. My wife spent no time decorating. Here’s the final result:

I’ll likely start on the bookcases after the holidays, but I really like the way this project is turning out!

-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."



2 comments so far

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

2653 posts in 2029 days


#1 posted 489 days ago

It did turn out well and a good write up also!

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View mountainaxe's profile

mountainaxe

77 posts in 1008 days


#2 posted 488 days ago

Thanks, Kindlingmaker…these built-ins have been a great confidence builder. They let me tackle large, integrated pieces quickly and are forgiving in that mistakes can be easily fixed. And since I’m painting, I don’t have to go crazy about wood types, matching grain, and finishing issues. Best part is that I’ve probably saved around $15K already in what it would have cost to have a finish carpenter/contractor built this set. That sure adds to my satisfaction level!

-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase