As construction is complete, the bench is ready for painting. I used Zinssler BIN primer, the one with shelac, since I need to ensure the pine, especially knots, don’t bleed through. It’s pretty expensive, but I’ve heard quite a few good reviews. I found that this product was easy to use and dries quickly…in about 15 minutes. I used disposable 4” & 6” rollers to apply the paint. The downside is that the fumes are very strong. Fortunately, it was a nice day and I was able to open windows and doors for ventilation. Even then, it gave me quite a headache.
Before painting, I decided to move an electrical box that will be covered up to the top back corner of the bench. My wife wanted the ability to plug in holday lighting, etc., around the nearby window. A new box and some romex did the trick. I also placed stops in back of where the speakers will sit; this will ensure proper alignment and prevent accidental movement. Here’s where I stand as of yesterday. I’ll put another coat of paint on today and it should be ready to move to the house for installation.
-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."