Back in the shop this morning to start glue-ups. This was pretty simple as I had dry fit the day prior. I realized that the old saw is true…you can never have enough clamps—and I don’t. It was also somewhat difficult to put it all together by myself due to the size of the unit and the small space available in my shop. Used standard white wood glue and a few finish nails as insurance. Finally, I used wood putty to close up any small gaps and nail holes. Overall, I’m pleased with progress.
I’ll let this dry overnight. Seems fairly square considering the size and all the pieces. Next step was to fabricate three doors. I decided to use inset panel doors; two outside doors are 19” and the center door 17”. Again, I kept it simple using pine and lap joints. The panels are 1/4” plywood. I used my table saw to make the grooves for the panels as it was quick and acurate. I know I can use wood putty to close up any gaps. These doors turned out strong and square.
Earlier this month I bought some hardware…hand forged iron hinges and cabinet latches. They are simple and really look good. Downside is they cost as much as all the rest of the supplies…about $150!
When everything dries, I’ll be back to attach the plywood top and trim and sand.
-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."