LumberJocks

Auxillary Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by mot updated 06-10-2007 06:44 PM 6 parts 15775 reads 49 comments total

Part 1: Stock Preparation

05-18-2007 06:53 AM by mot | 1 comment »

I've just started stock preparation for this little auxillary bench. I'll keep a construction photo log going at my Picasaweb Album. I'm thining I'd like the tressel base, legs and stretchers to be about 1 1/2 inches thick. I've only got 4/4 maple so I've laminated some pieces together. The picture shows my laminations. I decided to use some of those Somona clamps that I chastised in my shop tour. I felt bad for them. They hold such premium wall space I thought I'd give the...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Using the Festool Domino to bore all mortises to assemble the tressel bases...VIDEO

05-20-2007 08:56 AM by mot | 8 comments »

Yeehaw! I anticipated this step all day. I had originally planned to use Dowelmax to join these pieces because I was more comfy with the jig and this has to align perfect. I then though, phooey! I’ll use Domino and give it a good test drive. The first picture shows the Festool Domino fitted with the Trim stop. This fitting allows you to “center or off-set the Domino joiner on narrow work pieces for perfect positioning.” HA! If anyone can screw this up, I can! I d...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Using Dowelmax to join the bases with stretchers - VIDEO

05-22-2007 01:08 AM by mot | 12 comments »

I wanted to put a bolt through the stretchers in order to tighten up an seasonal slack that might occur with this bench. The perfect thing to do, (perfect only because I thought of it,) was to use two dowels for anti-rotation pins and then put a bolt through the stretcher. This is just a short blog entry today. This video is how I used Dowelmax to align the stretchers to the base. In part IV of this series, I’ll discuss the top of the bench, and move on to the skirt and vise i...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Top

06-04-2007 01:39 AM by mot | 10 comments »

I joined the bases with the stretchers by using dowels as anti rotation pins, and then running a bolt through the stretcher to pull everything up tight… I added a top that is 22" x 12" of double thickness birch plywood. You can see some blade burn on both the plywood and the hard maple bases. It was a sharp blade, but I had feed rate issues. Cutting the top. The excalibur blade guard is a real asset when cutting sheet goods for not only finger protection, but overblade dust...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Apron - The inlaid (shadow) dovetail

06-07-2007 07:48 AM by mot | 12 comments »

I have been hemming and hawing on what I was going to do to give this little bench a bit more character. It’s going to serve a dual role in being both my auxillary bench for hand tool work as well as my 2 year old son’s bench. In that vane, I decided to add a little detail to the apron…the shadow or inlaid dovetail. Please note: Though I prefer to do these one-off projects with handcut dovetails, the Akeda 16 Jig was used throughout. To start, I joined one maple board...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finished

06-10-2007 06:44 PM by mot | 6 comments »

Well, I got the vise installed. I used red oak for the vice face for two reasons. The primary reason is that I’ve never installed a vice before and it was my test piece. The second reason is I liked the way it eventually worked so it graduated to my workpiece and the finished product. A quick test drive of the system for cutting some tails and it’s 100% success. The vice racks more than I hoped, but this procedure doesn’t involve extreme vise pressure and a like t...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase