Well, Christmas was a big hit, but I had to put a few finishing touches on the horse. Karson was observant to point out that there wasn’t any place for the little rider to put his feet, it needed ears, and it needed some finish on it.
I mixed up some amber shellac flakes from Lee Valley in a 2# cut. Thanks Bob #2 for the math help on small batches. I was scratching my head a bit.
First I used Dowelmax to align the ear blocks and to centre drill the top for the leather ears. I drilled all the holes before the ear block was profiled. I keep finding more and more uses for this tool. As a doweling jig, it is unmatched in it’s precision and ease. I used it as a precision drilling jig for the ear blocks and was equally impressed with it.
A backer board was used to control blowout with the drilling process.
The ear pieces were doweled and clamped with through drilling, the step was added for security. I think I might add some friction tape to it. It depends on if he crashes too often or not. Two coats of amber shellac and we’ll see how it wears!
Thanks for looking!
-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)